Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Cell Phones

I often wonder what it is about people that makes them HAVE to be connected and talking to another person all times of the day or night. You see it everywhere – people driving in high speed traffic, people on dates, mothers or dads with their children. Everyone’s on the cell phone, 24/7/365. No one can be comfortable where they are in the moment.

For a long time I resisted owning a cell phone just for that reason. I thought it was goofy how people couldn't be "unconnected" for even a little while.

I finally broke down and got a very inexpensive, pay-as-you go phone, but I use it sparingly. In fact, I have to force myself to use it because if I don’t the minutes go away after a certain date (quite a rip off, but that’s another story).

So, I guess the thrust of my comments here is that I see technology as a tool; I use it, it does not use me.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I am not alone! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on cell phones. A previous traveling job had a cell phone glued to my ear and I lost the "enjoyment" of staying connected.

Am I in such demand that others must reach me at any given moment? I have resolved to only purchase at minimum expense that object of a "jail cell" when I have children. It might be necessary at that time.

Thanks for sharing!