Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Iowa Floods of '08


I chose a photo from the recent Iowa floods (now forever known as the "Floods of ’08" by Iowans).

My wife is from Iowa and all her family is as well. So, my son’s maternal roots are from that great state, and it broke my heart and that of my wife to see what happened there just a few short weeks ago.

On a personal note, we had a long planned trip to Iowa City for a wedding, and we went last week. You couldn’t see much in the way of remnants of it because roads were blocked so we couldn’t get down to the University of Iowa Campus, which was a shame because my wife graduated from there and had been looking forward to showing me her old stomping grounds.

I selected this photo because it is one from the campus area and in the rear you can see the new art building, which is deluged with water. My wife was an education/art major, so, again, it touched us personally to see this.

It just goes to show that Mother Nature doesn’t play!

1 comment:

Jenny Mooney said...

I didn’t realize that was YOUR blog, silly!!! As I was reading it I was like, “Holy Cow, I was in Iowa City for a wedding last week… and wait, this dude’s wife is from Iowa… and she graduated from the University and wanted to show her husband her old stomping grounds…”

Then I thought, “Wait a second… there is NO way someone’s life parallels ours so closely. It was one of those do-do-do-do moments (you know, the freaky music). I was going to comment and tell the person he must be my husbands doppelganger or something.

Then I saw it WAS you. What a dork I am.

I guess I’m just shocked (and awed) that my husband knows how to blog now! I may have you make a few entries on the family blog now that you are a seasoned professional.